Sunday, November 18, 2012

Untitled, Chapter 3


            The phone rang later that night, waking Dyanne up from a deep sleep.  She mumbled a sleepy “Hello?” into the receiver before even looking at the caller ID.
            “Dyanne?  It’s Evan.”
            She looked at the time.  12:17AM.  “Evan?  Why are you calling so late?  Where are you?  Why aren’t you home?”
            “Listen, babe, I don’t have a whole lot of time to talk.  I only get one call here.  I just had to call and let you know that…I won’t be coming home tonight.  I’ll be back tomorrow, hopefully.”
            Dyanne was shocked, had to take a moment to think.  “You…You’re not coming home?  Evan, you’re scaring me.  What happened?  Where are you?”
            “I…  I’m in jail.  At least for the night, maybe two nights, but I’ll try and be home tomorrow.”
            “Evan, what the hell happened?  Why are you in jail?”
            A heavy, frustrated sigh came through the phone.  “I went out with the guys after work today.  We had a couple drinks, I may have had more than a couple, and got into a little fender-bender on the way home.  It’s no big deal, I just—”
            “Drunk driving?  And you hit someone?  Are you nuts?!”
            “Dyanne, it’s not a big deal, really.  I just have to stay the night to sober up, and I’ll be back in the morning.  But…I’m going to need you to pick me up in the morning.  And take me to work.”
            She was borderline speechless.  She could just barely squeak out a “Why?”
            “Because…the car is totaled.  Babe, I’m so sorry.”
            She couldn’t come up with a response.  No rational thoughts were popping into her head.
            “Dyanne?  You still there?”
            She shook herself to a semi-coherent state again.  “Evan, we’ll talk more tomorrow.  Good night.”  And she hung up.
            There were no words to explain her thoughts or feelings towards Evan right now.  Disappointment came close.  Anger, perhaps.  She curled back up in bed under the covers and cried herself back to sleep.

            The next morning, Dyanne found herself instinctively waking up and feeling for Evan in the bed beside her.  Then, the events of the night crashed back down on her, and she collapsed back down on the bed.  Wow, she had just woken up and was already bone-weary.
            That damned Evan…  She couldn’t believe he had been so stupid.  That was their car!  And a DUI?  They were going to have to pay for that, along with the damages to the car…not to mention the damages to the other vehicle.  God, what if the other driver was injured?  Or worse…
            Dyanne stopped her train of thoughts short.  She couldn’t bear to think of it.  Before last night, they weren’t exactly living like princes.  They were both working full-time, living in a tiny one-bedroom apartment, scraping pennies together and still living paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet.  And now he went and pulled this kind of a stunt?  They were screwed!
            She finally managed to drag herself out of bed and into the kitchen.  Coffee.  That should fix things, at least give her some clarity of mind.

            The day passed uneventfully.  She ate breakfast, ate lunch, and didn’t receive a single call from Evan.  He probably was going to have to stay there again tonight.  Paperwork, politics, what-have-you, he was probably just caught up in the system longer than necessary.
            5 o’clock rolled around, and Dyanne was lazing around on the couch, watching the news in her favorite cozy jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.  Her phone rang, and she jumped to get it.  Maybe Evan was just getting a late release?
            “Hello?” she answered breathlessly.
            “Dyanne?  This is Xavier.  I wanted to confirm your address with you before I came to pick you up for dinner tonight.  We…are still on for dinner, right?”
            She smacked her forehead.  She had completely forgotten about dinner with Xavier!  “Uh… Yeah!  At six, right?  Absolutely!  Have a pen handy?”

            Dyanne rushed herself into a presentable state in record time.  She chose a deep, navy blue dress.  It complemented her blue eyes and her fair skin tone – that’s why she had gotten it in the first place.  Plus, it was a modest piece.  Not low-cut in any form or fashion.  This was just a friend-date after all.  She had no need to show off for anyone.
            At six o’clock on the dot, a shiny black Mazda pulled up in the Lutz’s driveway.  A suave, sophisticated, successful man stepped out, straightened his tie, and headed for the front door.  Dyanne released a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding in.  God, Xavier looked good.
            Cut that out, Dyanne.  He’s just a friend, remember?
            After they exchanged the appropriate pleasantries – hi, nice to see you, how’ve you been – they got in Xavier’s car and headed off.
            “That color looks remarkable on you, Dyanne.”
            She gave him a sideways look.  “Xavier, please.  We’re just friends.”  He knew full well that she was married.  They had just barely gotten in the car, and he was already trying to put the moves on her?  “Maybe this was a bad idea.”
            If he was trying to put the moves on her, he had perfected his surprised face.  “Dyanne, why do you keep telling me that we’re just friends?  Are you trying to convince yourself?”
            Her jaw dropped.  “Me?  I’m the one married here, and you’re the one making inappropriate remarks.”
            It was his turn to give her a sideways look, before turning his attention back to the road.  “I gave you a compliment, Dyanne.  I give my hairdresser compliments.  That doesn’t mean that I’m trying to get in her pants.  Please, Dyanne.  I’m just being friendly.”  He glanced over at her once more.  “You didn’t answer my question.  I get the impression that  you need some persuading of your own.  Why is that?”
            “I don’t need persuading.  Like I said, I’m a married woman.  I love my husband.  I mean, I’m sure you know that you’re an attractive man, but that doesn’t change the facts.  I can’t let myself be attracted to you.  I can’t hurt him like that.”
            “So you think I’m attractive?  Well thanks, Dyanne, I’d like to get in your pants too.”
            She glared at him.  “You’re a jerk.  Why am I letting you take me out to dinner again?”  Dyanne slumped back in her seat like a sullen teenager.  She didn’t care if she was being immature.
            They sat in silence for the remainder of the drive – which wasn’t long.  Xavier pulled the car into a parking spot at the local fine dining establishment and they sat there for a moment, neither moving for the door.
            “Dyanne?  I must apologize for my earlier behavior.  I was being unforgivably rude.  I would very much enjoy a pleasant and friendly evening with you, if you would still be willing to enjoy one with me.  If not, I would be more than obliged to take you home.”
            She couldn’t resist him.  Quite frankly, he was – by definition – irresistible.  She had to forgive him.  “No, no.  We can have dinner.”
            Xavier flashed her the most brilliant smile she had ever seen.  “You’ve done me a great honor, Dyanne.  Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment